#20 Unwrapping Medicare: The Basics [Podcast]
“How do I understand Social Security and Medicare?” This is a question I hear most often from people planning for retirement. Social Security and Medicare benefits will play a big part in your retirement.
In this episode we begin to unwrap both and start to build a framework for you to make decisions about your Social Security and Medicare benefits. I say we “begin” intentionally. In future episodes, we’ll continue to improve your understanding of your Social Security and Medicare.
- If you enjoy the podcast, I would consider it a great favor if you subscribed in iTunes and left a review. This helps others discover the show.
- Last week I announced my Retirement 2.0 project. This is my initiative to redesign the retirement planning process to serve you better. To help, go here and share your thoughts on retirement.
Retirement Tip of the Week
I suggest you visit and explore our government's Social Security website. It is an easy to navigate useful resource to help you manage your Social Security benefits. YES, I just said “useful” and “government” in the same sentence. They did a great job designing the site.
You can easily:
- Apply for benefits
- Check the status of an application
- Set up direct deposit
- Estimate your Social Security
- Estimate your spouse’s benefit
- Sign up for your Social Security benefit
- Set up direct deposit
- Access their Retirement Toolkit (a great PDF document that outlines key dates for Social Security and Medicare)
Unwrapping Medicare: The Basics
This week I talk with Misty Kimbrough, a local insurance expert about the basics of Medicare. She outlines the basic parts of Medicare and the 3 most common missteps people make when planning medicare benefits for retirement.
Part A “major medical” coverage covering health care costs at hospitals
Part B Covers the costs of health care outside of a hospital. Doctor visits, outpatient procedures, x-lab test and related services
Medicare Supplements (Medigap)
Part C Medicare Advantage Plan
Part D Prescription Drug Plan
3 Common Medicare Missteps
- Social Security website
- Medicare website
- Medicare Plan Finder
- Retirement Answer Library
- Red Apple Insurance
Enjoy the Podcast?
[button_2 color="blue" align="center" href="https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/plan-well-invest-wisely/id834314596" new_window="Y"]Subscribe in iTunes[/button_2]
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
Roger’s YouTube Channel - Roger That
BOOK - Rock Retirement by Roger Whitney
3-video Series: 5 Minute Retirement Makeover
Roger’s Retirement Learning Center
The Retirement Answer Man Facebook Page