How to Pay for College with Celest Horton [Podcast]
How to pay for college is one of the most frequent questions I get from parents.
This week I interviewed Celest Horton from How to Pay For College HQ to learn about great resources available to help parents pay for college.
Celest knows it's possible to pay for college without student loans (she did it). Each week, on her How to Pay for College HQ podcast she interviews industry experts to help listeners learn what is necessary to plan and pay for college without the assistance of loans.
In this episode we discuss:
- The need for your teenager to be engaged in the process of selecting a college and applying for aide.
- The importance of your teenager to show a "demonstrated interest" in colleges they want to go to so they can improve their chances of receiving merit aide. They can do this by following a college on social media and interacting with the admissions department.
- How a high school senior could graduate with 1 or 2 years of college credit by taking duel purpose classes in high school.
- What the FAFSA form is and why its important to complete in January each year.
- The importance of researching potential college's average SAT scores, tuition and how generous they are with merit aide.
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
Roger’s YouTube Channel - Roger That
BOOK - Rock Retirement by Roger Whitney
3-video Series: 5 Minute Retirement Makeover
Roger’s Retirement Learning Center
The Retirement Answer Man Facebook Page
Scholarshipopportunity.org Online resource for scholarship opportunities to help pay for college
College Navigator Online resources to research average tuition, SAT and aide for colleges
College Data Online resources to research average tuition, SAT and aide for colleges
Visit How to Pay for College HQ to receive the free report : Top 5 Things Every Parent Should Know To Pay for College Without Loans.